FROM CROWD TO ACTION – THE FUTURE OF DIGITALISED DEMOCRACY IN EUROPE?
23 November 2017, at University of Latvia, Faculty of Social Sciences, Riga
Can people come together to influence decisions of politicians & legislation? From banning unhealthy products in Lithuania to using the information from a crowd for market research in Poland – bright examples of people participating are all around us, but what it takes to influence decisions on the European level? ManaBalss.lv (Sabiedrības Līdzdalības Fonds) is inviting you to the international event which aspires to bring together international and local experts in the field of digital democracy, as well as activists, political scientists and students to learn from the best digital participation examples in the region and encourage further discussions on the power of crowdsourcing tools that can influence decisions and policies which are essential for you!
11:30 – Registration and coffee
12:00 – Opening remarks
- Valdis Pornieks, CTO of ManaBalss.lv (Latvia)
- Simon Delakorda, Director of Institute for Electronic Participation (Slovenia)
12:20 – Case presentations: How can crowdsourcing bring real changes?
- Valdis Pornieks, ManaBalss.lv: pop-up legislations platform ParVaiPret.lv
- Sebastian Starzyński, company “TakeTask”: crowdsourcing application “TakeTask” (Poland)
- Eduards Ozoliņš, Communication Department, State Chancellery of Latvia: governmental platform MazaksSlogs.lv (Latvia)
- Linas Šivis, Sveiko Vaiko Institutas: crowdsourcing platform “Sveikas Vaikas” (Lithuania)
14:45 – Coffee & light lunch break
15:50 – World Café style workshops:
- “What should the citizens be able to decide on EU level?” moderated by Simon Delakorda
- “Is there a right time & place for crowdsourcing to have political impact?” moderated by Elisa Lironi, Digital Democracy Manager at ECAS (Belgium)
- “What should be the right technology for crowdsourcing at the EU level?” moderated by Raimo Muurinen, Open Ministry representative (Finland)
16:45 – Concluding remarks
All the participants are welcome to join the second – discussion part of the event @ Kanepes Culture center in Skolas street 15!
18:30 – Discussion “Digital democracy in Europe – dream or reality?”
Speakers: Simon Delakorda, Valdis Pornieks, Sebastian Starzyński and Lolita Čigāne, member of Latvian Parliament. Moderated by Ansis Bogustovs.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions!